In Reply to: Taxi was wonderful ... posted by reelsmith. on November 19, 2019 at 13:43:02:
I still like modern shows but I wonder if it is the subject matter that puts older audiences off - I mean MOM has a lot of raunchy language as it is from, I believe, the same writers as Two and Half Men. Yet I greatly prefer MOM.
At first I thought it would be an age thing but Mom and my grandmother would watch movies like Dawn of the Dead and The Thing and Pulp Fiction and A Clockwork Orange while my father would get up and go into the other room and read a book.
I just watched a new TV Series called The Boys and I thought to myself - this is Breaking Bad with superheroes. It was a hoot and then I thought about the dialog, special effects, production values - compare to what was on when I was a kid it's incomparably superior.
The best shows hold up if the characters hold up - are they well drawn and do we care about them? Louis De Palma to me is one of the greatest characters ever put on screen.
Here is Marilu Henner on Louis DePalma and I concur - interestingly Marilu has Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory which is why she can recount everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPgm7gLCYSU
Danny DeVito noted that the creators and writers of Taxi came from MTM here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV3gcxeJMHo
And this is one of my favorite Danny DeVoito scenes - he is conveying a huge array of emotion, lines, physical comedy, stillness, drama.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - I have become a "Friends"-aholic!..I missed it when it originally aired in the 90's and early 2000's... - TWB 00:21:34 11/15/19 (23)
- RE: I have become a "Friends"-aholic!..I missed it when it originally aired in the 90's and early 2000's... - beach cruiser 05:09:48 12/18/19 (0)
- I never left the 'Leave it to Beaver' stage - jedrider 13:05:00 11/26/19 (0)
- Jay Leno said on his Tonight Show ... - free.ranger 11:32:21 11/22/19 (1)
- I'm not sure I agree with him... The premise of the show was... - TWB 14:30:28 11/22/19 (0)
- Oy! - Awe-d-o-file 06:53:39 11/17/19 (13)
- A more patient/understanding BF than me. That show was a snore/bore... N/T - musetap 12:30:17 11/17/19 (1)
- RE: A more patient/understanding BF than me. That show was a snore/bore... N/T - Awe-d-o-file 16:48:19 11/19/19 (0)
- What's the matter? You don't have a sense of humor?... - TWB 09:24:54 11/17/19 (10)
- RE: What's the matter? You don't have a sense of humor?... - Awe-d-o-file 19:02:55 11/23/19 (0)
- My favorite - RGA 17:20:10 11/17/19 (8)
- Mary Tyler Moore - Bill the K 19:02:05 11/17/19 (6)
- I partially agree with you... MTM WAS a good show....but Seinfeld - TWB 00:54:09 11/18/19 (0)
- RE: Mary Tyler Moore - RGA 22:52:26 11/17/19 (4)
- Interesting trivia about Lisa Kudrow... I think I remember reading about her.... - TWB 17:42:46 11/17/19 (0)
- I've always liked it ... - reelsmith. 08:36:13 11/15/19 (0)
- One of the best shows on TV - Victor Khomenko 07:09:57 11/15/19 (1)
- Get out of this city! - Billy Wonka 16:44:51 11/15/19 (0)
- RE: I have become a "Friends"-aholic!..I missed it when it originally aired in the 90's and early 2000's... - grantv 06:39:08 11/15/19 (0)
- RE: I have become a "Friends"-aholic!..I missed it when it originally aired in the 90's and early 2000's... - House13 06:04:49 11/15/19 (0)