Yes the Oscars - the vanity project for Hollywood but hey it's something to do.
"Ford v Ferrari"
"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
Have you seen them all - and which one(s), if any, did you like?
I have seen 3 to this point. Joker, 1917, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I liked all three.
The Tarantino film is curious as it seems to me that it will be liked more by non Tarantino fans and Tarantino fans will probably not enjoy it. 1917 has a tough road as there are so many good war films. Still, the two long seeming single takes were impressive so from a visual and intensity level I rank it pretty high. It's well acted and reminds me a little bit of Gravity - a film deserving of the big screen. But is there enough "meat" in terms of plot and story. Hollywood tends to like more melodrama and this decidedly doesn't have that.
And the Joker for what it is is pretty great. The downward spiral of a man who is not quite right who is no longer getting his subsidized medication from a government not helping the weakest in society. It's also nice to see a film with an unreliable narrator. Still, like 1917, will the voters feel there is enough here that rises above plenty of past films like Taxi Driver or Fight Club where there is enough "meat" to warrant best picture. I doubt it. Joker seemed to polarize critics quite a lot which usually hurts its chances - they usually like the safe amiable pick.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 2020 Oscars Thread - RGA 22:34:24 01/13/20 (13)
- Just watched "Joker" too... - Steve O 16:09:45 01/20/20 (0)
- Just watched Joker... - musetap 14:33:43 01/20/20 (4)
- RE: Just watched Joker... - jedrider 15:47:24 01/20/20 (3)
- 2 here, Ford v Ferrari and Parasite - Road Warrior 05:50:17 01/20/20 (0)
- RE: 2020 Oscars Thread - tunenut 10:02:02 01/18/20 (0)
- RE: 2020 Oscars Thread - jedrider 07:57:16 01/17/20 (0)
- RE: 2020 Oscars Thread - Billy Wonka 00:23:25 01/17/20 (1)
- RE: 2020 Oscars Thread - RGA 04:57:46 01/17/20 (0)
- Of that list, I've only seen one film.... - TWB 13:25:25 01/16/20 (1)
- That's one more than I've seen . . .nt - dwill123 15:14:32 01/16/20 (0)