Michael Keaton does an excellent job playing an ambitious man (usually down on his luck) looking for his lucky strike. He finds it the form of San Bernadino's "McDonalds" restaurant which he believes is a veritable gold mine. The only thing that stands in his way is Dick and Mac McDonald (Offerman and Lynch)who live by a strict code of "their way". Once Kroc talks them into a better franchise concept the business has a rocky start but begins to build steam after reordering priorities that don't match up with the brothers' contract. Kroc resorts to war and eventually buys out his contracts, steals the name, and proclaims himself as "founder".
This film starts out in the innocent 50's with Kroc being a traveling salesman. He goes the California to investigate a new customer and is amazed at the concept of getting an order out within thirty seconds. The McDonald brothers proudly show him their operation and it is illustrated in a very amusing way for the audience. The film shows us Kroc's hit and misses with bankers and his struggle to make it work. His marriage to Dern slowly disintegrates and ends in divorce. But Kroc never gives up and "going low" ultimately proves his best bet.
The acting is superb, the story and narrative well presented, and the unmistakable feeling of a time gone by apparent at all times. I'm surprised this wasn't squeezed in before year's end as it will be mostly forgotten by nomination time next year.
This story shows the hope, aspirations, and ugliness of American business at its best. Must see.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'The Founder': What a crock . . . - Billy Wonka 16:14:50 01/21/17 (6)
- RE: 'The Founder': What a crock . . . - PdL 14:39:26 01/23/17 (0)
- It's excellent. - volunteer 06:06:11 01/22/17 (0)
- RE: 'The Founder': What a crock . . . - mkuller 22:19:10 01/21/17 (0)
- Sounds much, much betterer than your subject line implies... - musetap 20:35:15 01/21/17 (2)
- I just tried the new Grand Mac in honor of the movie . . . - Billy Wonka 14:55:59 01/23/17 (1)
- Well above and beyond your already above and beyond commitment... - musetap 20:42:34 01/23/17 (0)