Saw it last night after Super Bowl LI on one of those free premium channels. (see post about The Revenant -- Feb 5, 2017)
You can always spot a Tarrantino film by its dialog. Real simple and with a slow, deliberate delivery. At one point Kurt Russel utters a command to another...and it sounds as if it were uttered by the late John Wayne. 'That' kind of delivery.
You can always spot a Tarrantino film by its plot. It tells part of the story, then backs up to 'just before' to fill you in on what it didn't tell you before. The plot line is always simple and reveals everything by the end of the film. There will be nothing left to guess or ponder about....except, perhaps ..... why!
You can always spot a Tarrantino film by its graphic blood and gore. It is crass. It is over the top. Tarrantino celebrates in, among many other obscenities, that which is repulsive. For instance, when one character vomits blood onto the face of the individual beneath. Then the camera gets a close-up detail shot of that face with the vomit all over it. Should we the viewers laugh or puke. I did neither, but it did make me gasp! A real attention getter, that scene.
I should say that Samuel Jackson seems a natural for his role in this improbable film. The entire cast was good but Jackson is a natural for a Tarrantino movie.
For some reason I am reminded of one or another Sergio Leone spaghetti western. With a Leone film there is a definite specific stylistic sense to it. So too with Tarrantino. I just hope I haven't insulted the memory of Sergio Leone by making this comparison. (;-)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Hateful Eight - user510 11:24:27 02/06/17 (14)
- RE: Hateful Eight - Mike B. 13:39:07 02/08/17 (0)
- Tried to watch it twice and fell asleep... - musetap 20:30:01 02/06/17 (6)
- Did you see it in a theater? - mkuller 11:03:04 02/07/17 (5)
- Tarrantino is in love with his voice, hence his films . . . - Billy Wonka 08:52:37 02/10/17 (1)
- His cleverness served him VERY well with PF and KB2... - musetap 21:07:06 02/12/17 (0)
- No, seeing it in a theater... - musetap 21:18:16 02/07/17 (2)
- We caught it on HBO, watched about 1 hour, turned it off - Road Warrior 06:21:50 02/08/17 (1)
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress Oscar...(nt) - mkuller 15:13:48 02/08/17 (0)
- RE: Hateful Eight - mkuller 19:18:40 02/06/17 (5)
- RE: memorable is one way to regard them - user510 13:03:27 02/07/17 (4)