What do you know; a live action movie of the 1996 Japanese anime of the same name. That in itself has my attention.
Ghost in the Shell points to having a live human spirit within an electro-mechanical device. It also points to a human spirit living on as an independent AI that functions within a large complex computer network. In this way, it indicates toward a kind of immortality.
Rotten tomatoes gives it a 42% rating. Hmmmm. green. That must mean they're throwing old tomatoes at it. But actually the pro reviewers suggest high quality visuals with a not-so-good story.
Myself; Back in 1996 (?) I enjoyed this animated movie quite a lot. Time has passed and you can only revisit the old anime's so often before the story gets old.
That said, the original wasn't so much notable for its engrossing story. Rather it was notable in that it was an anime' aimed at adult sci-fi viewers. In reality I felt that the Japanese authors were trying to cram in too much philosophy in the form of long narrated diatribes as opposed to weaving said philosophies into the story line.
The anime' was also noteworthy for exceptional graphics. And yet those graphics were added into the story gratuitously. As in, take a breather from the plot while looking up at some stupendously beautiful, artfully produced CGI. It passes and back into the story we go.
And I still liked it. So if the movie follows this format of adding CGI and philosophy in a gratuitous fashion, I can understand reviewer objections. And yet I will probably view the movie sometime next week as a matinee. Only then will I know what the reviewers objections are rooted in.
Edits: 03/31/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Ghost In The Shell 2017 - user510 14:10:19 03/31/17 (18)
- it was pretty good but the story is average, the CGI city they created is well done and fun - PhilJ 12:13:24 04/08/17 (0)
- RE: just back from the theater.... - user510 16:25:58 04/03/17 (0)
- I thought it was very good... - mkuller 19:08:05 04/02/17 (3)
- Very good - but you only gave it a B-? I thought we were living in the age of grade inflation! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 01:03:33 04/05/17 (2)
- Oscar: Best use of a Body Suit - Billy Wonka 10:33:47 04/01/17 (8)
- You can't please everyone . . . - Billy Wonka 13:06:56 04/01/17 (7)
- Robert Chan is an ignorant idiot - erik 18:16:57 04/02/17 (2)
- They make a good point. - free.ranger 14:18:06 04/02/17 (1)
- RE: They make a good point. - Bill the K 18:23:26 04/07/17 (0)
- "There's no reason why either Motoku or Hideo could not have been portrayed by Japanese or Asian actors... - musetap 10:18:21 04/02/17 (1)
- RE: yup...it's all about box office draw...and Scarlett's got it...(nt) - user510 10:39:12 04/02/17 (0)
- Thoughtful review... - mkuller 09:58:47 04/01/17 (1)
- RE: thanks for that link... - user510 13:01:55 04/01/17 (0)
- I liked the anime... - RadioWonder 21:47:45 03/31/17 (0)