shortcuts, and keep to the road at night. Good ideas for interstellar travelers.
There are disappointments: we still don't know why the Engineers wanted to kill us, we don't quite understand why David dropped the bombs on the Engineer planet, and there is no well-developed back story about what happened to Shaw. There are no new real surprises other than there is a whole new menagerie of creatures that have developed an appetite. I like the way this one started but it's like Christmas once you know Santa is out of the bag. In fact, this didn't have the creative spark 'Prometheus' had. There isn't a lot of brand new plot ingenuity but a plausible story with more up to date CGI experience. This installment was a reflection of the very first "Aliens" more so than creating a new path of understanding of how we got here.
The acting was good considering the dialog could have come from any of the prior movies and the critters were good but generally badly behaved. Fassbinder played two androids who, in a way, bonded. (Prepare for social engineering scene).
For me, the initial discovery and exploration were the best part. When they lost a few crew members and met up with David things began to get "old school" Alien. Yep, this is far more "old school" and a concession to the fans who missed critters attacking at every turn. The intellectual teasing is missing from this installment and the ending sends us right off onto the sequel which, again, is missing the intellectual goosing of Prometheus. I hate to think we really don't know why the Engineers don't like us but let's just say that David acted on their hate toward us as well. (What does he know?)
I give this 7 outta 10. It was a slide into third and no way near a homerun. I must say I watched just about every YouTube trailer for the film and can tell you a lot of it hit the editing room floor. Still, this was 2:02:00 long.
The 'Alien' Fan Boys need to step in and share their expert analysis so we can all understand what just happened.
Don't let the bed bugs bite.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'Alien Covenant': Don't stop for strangers, don't take . . . - Billy Wonka 20:36:46 05/18/17 (27)
- RE: 'Alien Covenant': Don't stop for strangers, don't take . . . - Dr Phibes 02:12:54 06/11/17 (0)
- "There are disappointments". . . - Steve O 14:05:43 05/25/17 (14)
- I think there are a lot of Prometheus fans who were/are not for the Aliens series. - free.ranger 07:02:36 05/26/17 (12)
- At the risk of sounding like an "academic elitist"... - Steve O 07:50:20 05/26/17 (11)
- Guardians of the Galaxy covers all the heavy stuff. - geoffkait 09:30:22 05/26/17 (7)
- I'm not surprised you say that...GOTG v2.0 was AWESOME by comparison (nt) - Steve O 11:28:34 05/26/17 (6)
- Alien Covenant kicked Guardians of the Galaxy out of first place in box office. Hel-loo! Nt - geoffkait 12:48:30 05/26/17 (5)
- After 2 weeks...(nt) - mkuller 11:02:19 05/29/17 (1)
- Just opening weekend hype; GOTG2 is again ahead of Covenant... - Steve O 12:45:46 05/29/17 (0)
- Barely. Weekend box office placement is a measure of quality? Helu!... - Steve O 14:12:05 05/26/17 (2)
- I won't go to any movies with a raccoon as the main character in them, period. nt - geoffkait 05:33:02 05/27/17 (1)
- Damn straight. - free.ranger 09:46:11 05/27/17 (0)
- Dont worry. - free.ranger 08:19:25 05/26/17 (1)
- Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up (nt) - Steve O 09:13:50 05/26/17 (0)
- RE: At the risk of sounding like an "academic elitist"... - BillH 08:15:18 05/26/17 (0)
- well, I guess we can rule you out as a fanboy. Nt - geoffkait 21:46:47 05/25/17 (0)
- RE: 'Alien Covenant': Don't stop for strangers, don't take . . . - volunteer 05:07:46 05/22/17 (3)
- The scariest thing about the first Alien... - mkuller 08:23:26 05/22/17 (2)
- Agreed... - mkuller 16:15:35 05/21/17 (1)
- Actually - geoffkait 16:16:51 05/23/17 (0)
- I found it to hold together surprisingly well. Couldn't have been better. Nt - geoffkait 13:31:09 05/21/17 (0)
- Sounds like it's still good entertainment even if not... - musetap 12:57:45 05/21/17 (1)
- RE: Sounds like it's still good entertainment even if not... - ornery 20:28:12 05/23/17 (0)
- Bummer - free.ranger 09:38:40 05/19/17 (0)
- Why don't you just post the whole screenplay? :-). Nt - geoffkait 09:30:39 05/19/17 (0)