Great cast but no action. Nothing in this film seemed to bear fruit. Just a rehash of the classic Civil War tale showing the unspoken competition of a bunch of horny broads with no men around in quite a long while.
Farrell was badly wounded and taken in by the "seminary" (finishing school) where his injuries were treated. Kidman (the "Marm") wanted to turn him over the patrolling rebels but the younger girls were too afraid for him and later the "ladies" fell under his spell or their unmet needs. Farrell's eye for the ladies gets away from him leading to a breach of etiquette breeding unnecessary jealousy amongst the more mature of the house.
I'm not sure why this story needed retelling other than Coppola wanted to put a woman's voice into the story. At best, the subtleties of the feminine touch leave the story muted and best enjoyed by the fairer of the audience. For me, it was like watching a slow motion cat fight with the volume turned off. Plus, the ending was totally anticlimactic.
I wished I had waited for cable but, then again, I would regret not telling myself not to bother with it.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'The Beguiled': Snoozing with Sophia - Billy Wonka 23:20:26 06/30/17 (5)
- RE: 'The Beguiled': Snoozing with Sophia - grantv 12:40:52 07/04/17 (0)
- RE: 'The Beguiled' with Clint Eastwood 1971 - user510 13:07:56 07/01/17 (2)
- A couple of critics... - mkuller 15:29:35 07/01/17 (1)
- Do it! Get back to us. * - Billy Wonka 15:53:56 07/01/17 (0)
- if those actresses can not save it, it must be terrible. - PhilJ 04:54:58 07/01/17 (0)