Chris Nolan: boy genius, complex plots, tons of CGI and special effects, and operating budgets that match second world countries. That's our boy! But all that was missing this time out. This is the worst film he has ever made.
There was nothing very exciting or compelling in his telling of this historical moment. The script was lackluster, the performances were small screen BBC, and the lack of money invested showed everywhere. There was a terribly thin veneer of extras, ships, small vessels, and CGI aircraft. If you look beyond the forefront of the action you don't see much at all. I'm not sure what he was thinking but this film was obviously for the "home crowd".
And, once again, I had trouble understanding the dialog from frame one. What is his sound guy doing? Close miking or what?
This film was like a very lazy version of an essay: "What I did in Dunkirk over the summer". It just didn't get the blood boiling and the overall lack of action was disappointing. I had been chomping at the bit for this one but it has ended up being the 'La La Land' of war movies.
I'm wondering if this is going to get super ratings because it is Chris Nolan? Maybe by critics but probably not by viewers. I should have known something was up when it showed on the smallest screen this evening.
Being a "boomer" movie many will go and many will like it but I am not one of the Nolan fanboys who will sing it praises.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'Dunkirk': Nolan's Waterloo - Billy Wonka 18:43:08 07/20/17 (31)
- RE: 'Dunkirk': Nolan's Waterloo - Frihed89 01:57:56 08/14/17 (0)
- I liked it! A interesting approach to explaining the event. (nt) - Steve O 05:56:59 08/07/17 (0)
- RE: 'Dunkirk': Nolan's Waterloo - Albert B. Broman 20:04:15 08/04/17 (0)
- I liked it more than you to say the least - tunenut 13:43:56 07/25/17 (2)
- Just saw it in IMAX... - mkuller 16:29:19 07/23/17 (0)
- RE: I would pose a question prior to seeing this movie...... - user510 11:46:04 07/23/17 (3)
- 'Fury Road'. I'd cross the street to AVOID 'Dunkirk'. (NT) - jeffreybehr 01:25:59 07/27/17 (2)
- RE: 'Fury Road'. I'd cross the street to AVOID 'Dunkirk'. (NT) - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:34:53 07/27/17 (1)
- they used models for some of the airplane scenes and no carnage after bombings. You call that realism? Nt - geoffkait 13:53:05 07/28/17 (0)
- You mean Deafkirk. Saw it at the IMAX tonight - email@example.com 22:38:53 07/22/17 (2)
- I NEVER go to the movies without - oldmkvi 08:55:51 07/23/17 (1)
- Seriously, but I totally forgot because I was running late. The last night's volume was absurdly loud. t - firstname.lastname@example.org 09:59:53 07/23/17 (0)
- This week's Time magazine... - mkuller 14:20:48 07/22/17 (6)
- Consider the source. Nt - geoffkait 15:27:28 07/22/17 (0)
- Hope you are brainless enough to like it . . . - Billy Wonka 14:24:48 07/22/17 (4)
- Actually it'snot about Nolan... - mkuller 14:35:31 07/22/17 (3)
- If only it were about the soldiers stranded there and... - jeffreybehr 16:23:51 07/23/17 (0)
- Keep up a brave face . . - Billy Wonka 15:55:28 07/22/17 (1)
- And you are welcome to your opinion... - mkuller 16:09:27 07/22/17 (0)
- Thnx for another great, understandable, review - Road Warrior 21:36:16 07/21/17 (0)
- Sounds like one of those subjects too big for a movie. - free.ranger 18:35:21 07/21/17 (0)
- I made it through one hour successfully. A stupid man's Saving Pvt. Ryan nt - geoffkait 16:22:55 07/21/17 (0)
- Damn! Was looking forward to seeing it! - Eldragon 13:24:07 07/21/17 (2)
- Best way to approach it . . . - Billy Wonka 15:15:18 07/21/17 (1)
- If you read the two links I shared... - mkuller 16:12:27 07/22/17 (0)
- Both local critics raved about it... - mkuller 10:55:05 07/21/17 (2)
- RE: Both local critics raved about it... - email@example.com 12:13:32 07/21/17 (1)
- If you are looking for "The Longest Day" . . . - Billy Wonka 15:13:54 07/21/17 (0)
- You are so right, Billy. It's an ill-conceived movie.... - jeffreybehr 00:41:19 07/21/17 (0)