In Reply to: Yes... posted by musetap on October 9, 2017 at 13:02:15:
If you look at it from a mile up in the atmosphere. Viewing the elements as data to be correlated, yes I take your points.
However down on the ground, in the theater, in front of the flat screen, there is a mood to it. There is this sense of the sinister. I refrain from using the word 'evil' because these replicants are not that. They simply lack human empathy. And this is likely because they resent that humans have no empathy for them.
For me the horror is in the setup. The atmosphere. The mood. The intentional cruelty. The lack of compassion.
The movie isn't a monster flick like Alien. Yet the replicants are treated as monsters to be hunted down and 'retired', dispatched, killed.
These particular replicants are wanted for their rebellious mis-deeds they had done in another star system. In the beginning it seemed like the plot would take on the form of a simple hunt. But the going gets trickier than anyone in law enforcement thought it would. We the viewer see the process through Deckard's eyes. And for him, it turns into a harrowing, horrific ordeal. I put an emphasis on horrific.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Blade Runner, 2049. You might not want to see it -- read first. - free.ranger 09:22:51 10/06/17 (34)
- The big question - spoiler alert... - mkuller 12:50:19 10/16/17 (1)
- Answer... - mkuller 10:00:44 10/18/17 (0)
- Just saw it... - mkuller 15:14:00 10/15/17 (3)
- We did too - just got back about an hour ago - Chris from Lafayette 19:46:59 10/15/17 (2)
- Did you... - mkuller 10:51:13 10/16/17 (1)
- We decided not to go to Walnut Creek - went to Martinez just for kicks (3:35 showing) [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 14:15:28 10/16/17 (0)
- RE: Blade Runner, 2049. You might not want to see it -- read first. - Steve O 21:24:54 10/13/17 (0)
- I rewatched the original 1982 version... - mkuller 10:29:44 10/08/17 (18)
- BRuno was ahead of its time in '82 . . . - Billy Wonka 16:06:56 10/08/17 (0)
- RE: the original 1982 version... - user510 14:59:31 10/08/17 (13)
- RE: the original 1982 version... - fantja 14:26:58 10/10/17 (0)
- RE: the original 1982 version... - fantja 14:23:42 10/09/17 (1)
- RE: the original 1982 version... - user510 14:31:41 10/09/17 (0)
- RE: the original 1982 version... - Jack G 04:41:51 10/09/17 (0)
- Just the change in title from book to film sets the tone for... - musetap 15:32:06 10/08/17 (8)
- RE: "the horror" - user510 17:52:18 10/08/17 (7)
- Those elements of horror are violence... - musetap 20:40:09 10/08/17 (6)
- RE: horrific violence... nt - user510 21:47:10 10/08/17 (5)
- The original had Rutger Hauer. IMO, he made that film exceptional. - free.ranger 13:35:39 10/08/17 (1)
- Blind Justice is one my my favorites of his,,,(nt) - mkuller 18:56:21 10/08/17 (0)
- I agree that the original '82 version got more acclaim than it really deserved - Chris from Lafayette 10:51:04 10/08/17 (0)
- this is the only film I have seen on IMAX and was blown away at the clarity of picture and sound - PhilJ 16:14:44 10/07/17 (2)
- Did the score and action give you "Space Odyssey" moments? - Billy Wonka 16:48:10 10/07/17 (1)
- I don't recall that, but then my head was ratteling from the volume. I thought of AI myself - PhilJ 16:51:43 10/07/17 (0)
- Went to see it yesterday at special 3D showing. Made it through 20 minutes. Nt - geoffkait 15:26:55 10/07/17 (1)
- Your narcolepsy kick in?...N/T - musetap 16:09:43 10/07/17 (0)
- RE: Blade Runner, 2049. You might not want to see it -- read first. - fantja 10:02:01 10/07/17 (0)
- I'm soooo triggered I need counseling . . . . - Billy Wonka 18:14:40 10/06/17 (1)
- RE: I'm soooo triggered I need counseling . . . . - Dr Phibes 13:33:24 10/20/17 (0)