Branagh needs to keep it on the stage or set in Scandanavia. When he gets involved things spin like a wobbly top. I could no more except him as Poirot as I could as Reinhard Heydrich. He has given us not a retelling but reimagined Agatha Christie tale that is rich with color, drone cinematagrophy, racial diversity, and political correctness. I lost count of the references to "race" in the script that somehow Branagh and the writer thought Christie would have included if she had just finished the book this year.
Lots of nice cinematograpy and glorious CGI serve as a backdrop for his less than inspired cast to play their parts. So many of the ensemble walked periously close to the phone booth and Depp's character was truly despicable. Maybe too despicable. I have trouble remembering who was the standout but Daisy Ridley was clearly intended to be in the spotlight.
I guess my bowels are in an uproar over Branagh himself and the unnecessary social engineering heaped into the script. Let's just tell a story as it was written without reordering it to fit the social landscape.
Many will want to see a nice, lush, clean film as the holidays start. That audience will get clean language, a few bits of high brow humor, and pretty art direction. Those faithful to Ms Christie may be disappointed.
Flip a coin between walking in and waiting for cable. And Kenny, reconsider acting and directing simultaneoulsy.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Orient Express Murdered . . . - Billy Wonka 15:28:05 11/11/17 (19)
- Just saw it. - Ross 18:32:06 11/19/17 (0)
- I keep hearing complaint about 'social justice' stuff being shoe-horned into this movie - mbnx01 15:52:53 11/17/17 (0)
- Have any Bogart films been remade? Any likely to be? - free.ranger 09:34:29 11/14/17 (1)
- RE: The Big Sleep 1978 with Robert Mitchum...and - user510 13:14:07 11/14/17 (0)
- RE: Orient Express Murdered . . . - fantja 14:20:28 11/13/17 (0)
- David Suchet IS Poirot, and did MOTOE in the - oldmkvi 06:40:46 11/13/17 (1)
- I'm on board with Peter Ustinov as my favorite Belgie . . . - Billy Wonka 20:13:31 11/16/17 (0)
- I agree, also, why even try to remake the 1974 classic? ho hum... - PhilJ 09:48:23 11/12/17 (11)
- It's Hollywood. They LIVE for remakes these days... - musetap 15:14:42 11/12/17 (3)
- All the best writers are doing cable and broadcast drama . . . - Billy Wonka 09:25:09 11/19/17 (0)
- Mel Gibson as Atticus Finch? (nt) - Dr Phibes 02:46:23 11/14/17 (0)
- Would a remake of M be called N? nt - Victor Khomenko 08:09:58 11/13/17 (0)
- I was once talking to a concert pianist - Victor Khomenko 12:07:01 11/12/17 (5)
- But none were HIS Rach 2. nt - oldmkvi 06:42:16 11/13/17 (1)
- Now there IS one - Victor Khomenko 08:08:26 11/13/17 (0)
- RE: I was once talking to a concert pianist - Bill the K 06:21:44 11/13/17 (0)
- RE:Agree, the 1984 verson of Bounty was the best of three - Eldragon 17:23:18 11/12/17 (0)
- in my mind the 1974 version was darn near perfect, but I suppose Branagh wants to make money :) - PhilJ 14:35:38 11/12/17 (0)
- I agree, also, why even try to remake the 1974 classic? ho hum... - mkuller 11:26:09 11/12/17 (0)