This has the look and feel of a Coen Bros script and story--which is good. With McDormand in it I thought it was for sure (no prep, obviously). But the credits set me straight and I found this was the work of the 'In Bruges' mastermind, Martin McDonagh. Based on "real events" we see the story of an angy mother (McDormand) trying to get some resolution for her daughter's rape and murder by renting three billboards to goad the sheriff (Harrell) into action.
This is a character rich script and I would label this an "actors movie". All the leads were great with McDormand, Harrell, and Rockwell stealing the show, so to speak. Great script with lots of dark humor, drama, and irony. I think this is one of the best this year.
Definitely worth the walk in. Get moving.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'Three Billboards . . .' : Mighty fine . . . - Billy Wonka 17:50:42 12/02/17 (7)
- RE: 'Three Billboards . . .' : Don't waste your time - manerac 18:12:40 12/18/17 (2)
- Agree...numerous Oscar nominations...(nt) - mkuller 19:54:32 12/03/17 (1)
- Upon reflection... - mkuller 12:24:12 12/04/17 (0)
- heck of a story made a terrific movie! Francis McDormand is a national treasure... - PhilJ 12:59:57 12/03/17 (0)
- RE: 'Three Billboards . . .' : Mighty fine . . . - geoff 18:10:07 12/02/17 (0)