With today's political tone this thing is going to wipe out the Academy Awards. Its December 22nd limited release will ensure its decimation of those eight-pound golden trinkets.
Being a Spielberg film there is no reason to check off all the qualities of the film. It's all there with a top flite cast and script which breaks down the story and timeline for people like me who lost the 70's due to the military and excessive partying. The only thing that I noticed was the usual Spielberg "sop" that softened the ending of an otherwise fine drama. I think Hanks was the weak link in the cast as he seemed to overplay a character rather than be a lead. Kudos to Bruce Greenwood who has been one busy actor of late.
This thing is historically satisfying with the exception of Greenwood wearing a polo knit shirt at least a year before they came out. (That poked me in the eye.)
One thing, the script kept the idea that the Pentagon Papers began with Truman and continued with Nixon. It did not heap the papers onto Nixon just the actions to stop the publication which was a legal point.
Entertaining and very compelling, it's a must-see for boomers, kids, and grandkids. (I think I was sitting next to a group of college kids with their teacher. Some liberal crank, I suppose.)
With all the cold weather, risk breaking that hip and waddle on in for some shiny history.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'The Post': MKuller was on-target . . . - Billy Wonka 13:44:52 01/12/18 (13)
- RE: 'The Post': MKuller was on-target . . . - Mike B. 16:38:06 01/16/18 (2)
- 'Spotlight' was better, IMO. * - Billy Wonka 07:35:48 01/17/18 (1)
- RE: 'Spotlight' was better - Mike B. 14:17:04 01/17/18 (0)
- RE: 'The Post': MKuller was on-target . . . - manerac 16:23:14 01/13/18 (1)
- It was a Polo Pony not the Lacoste Alligator . . . - Billy Wonka 07:53:39 01/14/18 (0)
- Good review. //Nt - MaxwellP 05:26:59 01/13/18 (0)
- Liberal crank?... - musetap 21:13:48 01/12/18 (6)
- RE: Liberal crank?... - mkuller 11:00:45 01/13/18 (0)
- You are SO easy. * - Billy Wonka 21:15:55 01/12/18 (4)
- Yep... - musetap 10:35:06 01/13/18 (0)
- RE: You are SO easy. * - MaxwellP 05:38:10 01/13/18 (2)
- You can take the Mr out of the Grits, but you can't take the Grits out... N/T - musetap 13:53:21 01/13/18 (1)
- Waaaah. I want a safe-space away from you. * - Billy Wonka 07:54:56 01/14/18 (0)