In Reply to: 2001: A Space Odyssey...Imax posted by c1ferrari on August 28, 2018 at 21:24:40:
It is a good show. I recently saw it in a seventy MM projection, but the show would have been better served on an Imax screen.
There probably was a little pan and scan, from the look of the print I saw, but it was a new print. I saw it with a little interview where it was mentioned Kubrick was having problems with introducing the aliens, what how and where. The science fiction writer issic asamov suggested just don't show the alien, leave it to the imagination, and the problem was solved.
The first time I saw it , projected in cenerama at the dedicated cenerama dome theatre was the whole show, quite an impact with three film projectors filling a semi wrap around screen, with sound in a theater large enough to have a balcony. The score on that one is pretty strong, sharing in the sensation made back when this movie changed sci fi forever.
Before this movie, sci fi was guys in silver suits fighting monsters.
The theatre is still there, a hollywood feature, but I wonder how many cenerama prints are still left, not many movies could budget technicolor film for three cameras and count on only a handful of theaters capable of showing the format.
Always dug it that model building on that movie provided the seed money to get michell turntables into production, because I own one.
Almost forgot, went to see Ben Hur at the cenerama dome, with charton heston as a featured guest. When he arrived at the far side of the parking lot 50 year old ladies in dresses broke into a full run, pumping arms to cover ground, purses flying,
I would have bet money those PTA looking ladies could not move like that, they had on sensible dresses and heels, and then broke into a sudden sprint when someone yelled heston had arrived. Heston was old at the time, but getting around on his own, no problem. Good movie, but EDward Robinson's work doesn't hold up, laughable.
Edits: 08/29/18This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 2001: A Space Odyssey...Imax - c1ferrari 21:24:40 08/28/18 (39)
- Definitely NOT one of my favorite films - Victor Khomenko 05:36:34 08/31/18 (10)
- Natalya Bondarchuk. . . unthawing. . . - Chris from Lafayette 15:35:21 09/01/18 (3)
- Oops! - I meant thawing out, not unthawing! [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 00:12:05 09/02/18 (2)
- RE: Definitely NOT one of my favorite films - c1ferrari 21:22:15 08/31/18 (0)
- I finally saw Solaris... - tunenut 14:10:20 08/31/18 (0)
- RE: Definitely NOT one of my favorite films - c1ferrari 07:19:52 08/31/18 (3)
- Great classic, a little slow in places but what the hell. Nt - geoffkait 04:25:44 08/30/18 (0)
- Just returned from seeing it - padreken 21:38:16 08/29/18 (1)
- RE: Just returned from seeing it - c1ferrari 22:16:39 08/29/18 (0)
- RE: 2001: A Space Odyssey...Imax - beach cruiser 18:26:40 08/29/18 (3)
- RE: 2001: A Space Odyssey...Imax - c1ferrari 21:35:46 08/29/18 (0)
- Do you remember... - mkuller 20:43:11 08/29/18 (1)
- RE: Do you remember... - c1ferrari 21:24:07 08/29/18 (0)
- Impressive restoration of a true classic... - Steve O 18:04:45 08/29/18 (18)
- RE: Impressive restoration of a true classic... - c1ferrari 21:25:58 08/29/18 (17)
- Elaborate on the impressive restoration? ;-) (nt) - Steve O 21:41:51 08/29/18 (16)
- RE: Elaborate on the impressive restoration? ;-) (nt) - c1ferrari 22:18:31 08/29/18 (15)
- RE: Elaborate on the impressive restoration? ;-) (nt) - Steve O 10:15:38 08/30/18 (14)
- You nailed it. - Ross 14:05:00 09/08/18 (1)
- RE: You nailed it. - email@example.com 07:31:02 09/13/18 (0)
- RE: Elaborate on the impressive restoration? ;-) (nt) - c1ferrari 13:56:28 08/31/18 (0)
- Well, not so fast... - Victor Khomenko 05:25:58 08/31/18 (4)
- Yes, so fast... - Steve O 08:47:41 08/31/18 (1)
- Present is just the future in the making - Victor Khomenko 10:23:33 08/31/18 (0)
- RE: Well, not so fast... - Crazy Dave 06:27:29 08/31/18 (1)
- There is definitely a shift, and a welcome one - Victor Khomenko 07:43:58 08/31/18 (0)
- Nice post, Steve - well done! - Chris from Lafayette 00:33:58 08/31/18 (1)
- You're probably right about the Chinese...and that will be another Sputnik moment (nt) - Steve O 10:59:46 08/31/18 (0)
- RE: Elaborate on the impressive restoration? ;-) (nt) - Crazy Dave 14:35:31 08/30/18 (2)
- No worry about aliens ending up in prison... - Steve O 16:02:47 08/30/18 (1)
- RE: No worry about aliens ending up in prison... - Crazy Dave 06:30:46 08/31/18 (0)
- RE: Elaborate on the impressive restoration? ;-) (nt) - c1ferrari 12:13:06 08/30/18 (0)
- I am always amazed at the quality of the special effects in 2001, a timeless masterpiece imo nt - PhilJ 21:54:55 08/28/18 (1)
- RE: I am always amazed at the quality of the special effects in 2001, a timeless masterpiece imo nt - c1ferrari 21:19:15 08/29/18 (0)