In Reply to: RE: That's a fine list... posted by musetap on September 18, 2018 at 06:11:06:
Yes, silent movies are fine and well-recorded mono sound is fantastic. Beyond movies, by far the best FM I ever heard was from the McIntosh MR67 on mono.
Billy Wilder is more or less a never-miss director and I'd add Carol Reed, Scorcese, Bergman, Coppola, Fellini, Lean, Lang, and Tati to that. I will also automatically give anything by Herzog, Tarrantino!, Welles, and the Coen Bros at least a try. Woody Allen is, however,very undependable the last twenty+ years.
My music listening habits have changed quite a bit in the last few years. I spend tremendous amounts of time in front of a computer (HP z620 / Xeon E5-1680 v2 / 64GB / Quadro P2000 + GTX 1070 Ti / Samsung SM951 M.2 + Samsung 860EVO + HGST 7K6000 4TB) doing 3D CAD, rendering, and writing.
At the moment I listen to YouTube videos probably twelve+ hours of my twenty hour days, using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB recording /MIDI interface running balanced XLR though Mackie HR824 studio monitors. One of the benefits of the Mackies is that the placement can be perfect- centerline of tweeters on the centerline of my ears and accurate toe in, plus the four integrated mono Class D amplifiers are OK- surprisingly good imaging and transparency, and the 8" woofers provide very flat bass down to 34Hz for my favorite Mahler and Bach organ. Really, I think it's that I've never had speakers so well placed and the balanced connection is quiet and more quiet.
Soon- I hope- I'm building a new desk that will incorporate my new MIDI controller (Studiologic SL88) and I hope to do a bit of composing. Both ARC systems: SP10/D115/ Oracle 3 + McIntosh MR67/ Vandersteen 3A and moreso the LS3 /D130/ Cambridge Audio 640C are silent as I'm hearing music all day at work.
When I watch movies, I use an HP z420 (Xeon E5-1620 v2 / 16GB / GTX 660Ti / Samsung 850 EVO + HGST 7K6000 4TB) with an ASUS STX Essence soundcard / Logitech Z2300 2.1 speakers to run a Samsung 40" 4K monitor. So, I've gone from strictly tube analog to pure digital/ compressed in about the last five years.
What have you been up to?
Edits: 09/18/18This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The Home B&W Festival - Bambi B 06:46:28 09/17/18 (28)
- a few more to add to your excellent list: - PhilJ 16:11:22 09/19/18 (2)
- RE: a few more to add to your excellent list: - Bambi B 05:14:10 09/21/18 (1)
- I enjoyed Robert Mitchum answering to Kirk Douglas, not many have the gravitas for that role over Mitchum - PhilJ 17:25:12 09/22/18 (0)
- That's a fine list... - musetap 20:27:49 09/17/18 (5)
- RE: That's a fine list... - Bambi B 05:32:53 09/18/18 (4)
- I'm bamboozled, no 'Paths of Glory'? - Billy Wonka 13:51:33 09/17/18 (4)
- Also - Des 17:03:37 09/17/18 (2)
- Yes, Paths of Glory is listed in a post below - Bambi B 16:14:44 09/17/18 (0)
- RE: The Home B&W Festival - Mike B. 11:44:20 09/17/18 (2)
- RE: The Home B&W Festival - pictureguy 10:32:09 09/17/18 (3)
- RE: The Home B&W Festival - Bambi B 11:41:37 09/17/18 (2)
- Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I don't have to show you no stinkin badges! - Chris from Lafayette 10:18:10 09/17/18 (6)
- "A Crockwork Lemon"? - Crazy Dave 14:35:39 09/19/18 (1)
- Right on! Mad Magazine is right where I stole it from! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 17:59:10 09/19/18 (0)
- RE: Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I don't have to show you no stinkin badges! - oldmkvi 08:44:58 09/18/18 (1)
- Funny! (had to use Google translate!) [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 13:03:16 09/18/18 (0)
- RE: Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I don't have to show you no stinkin badges! - Bambi B 11:57:32 09/17/18 (1)
- I wasn't aware of that Malkovich movie - thanks for the heads up! [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 13:07:45 09/18/18 (0)
- RE: That's a fine list... - Bambi B 09:06:41 09/18/18 (1)
- RE: That's a fine list... - musetap 12:26:03 09/22/18 (0)