In Reply to: I don't get Nomadland posted by RGA on April 13, 2021 at 21:52:39:
As long as I've been watching movies, the "road movie" has been a genre. And these are not generally plot driven. Most often, they have young protagonists who hit the road, meet people, have some adventures, learn some life lessons. And that's it. If you like the people, the scenery, if you like their little journey, you enjoy the movie. Otherwise you don't.
I would say this is firmly in that tradition, although the people are older. If there is a theme, it is loss, loss of family through aging and death, loss of community through economic change, loss of home.
And she hits the road and she meets a bunch of people whom I found interesting, and she sees some scenery which I found quite lovely.
I enjoyed this quite a bit and would be quite happy to see such a small and quiet story win best picture. And I more or less choked on Promising Young Woman. So to each their own.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The Debbies...err the Oscars - RGA 05:11:08 04/10/21 (16)
- "Nomadland:" a quiet film that rewards the viewer - tinear 08:35:57 04/18/21 (3)
- RE: "Nomadland:" a quiet film that rewards the viewer - RGA 18:30:29 04/18/21 (0)
- Certainly a movie for our age group -nt - jedrider 08:57:49 04/18/21 (1)
- I'd say good for any age group! Compassion, understanding--- - tinear 16:13:48 04/18/21 (0)
- I don't get Nomadland - RGA 21:52:39 04/13/21 (10)
- + 1 ^ - Road Warrior 22:15:01 04/21/21 (0)
- I'm not sure you need to get it - tunenut 11:05:13 04/17/21 (3)
- +1. nt - tinear 10:21:54 04/18/21 (0)
- Agree PYW should've been called Entrapment 2 - Des 18:00:31 04/17/21 (1)
- RE: Agree PYW should've been called Entrapment 2 - RGA 18:33:36 04/18/21 (0)
- RE: I don't get Nomadland - violinist3 00:47:56 04/14/21 (4)
- RE: I don't get Nomadland - RGA 17:58:17 04/14/21 (3)
- Maher's a little harsh. Films reflect the society, mostly. It's hard to - tinear 14:35:32 04/16/21 (2)
- RE: Maher's a little harsh. Films reflect the society, mostly. It's hard to - RGA 17:35:10 04/16/21 (1)
- I think you missed the point of film, in general, if you agree with Maher's rant. nt - tinear 08:24:54 04/18/21 (0)
- RE: The Debbies...err the Oscars - Mike B. 11:51:56 04/11/21 (0)