No not good in a film art way but good in a summer blockbuster way. And I didn't much like the first one.
Basically, you come for the planes and hope there is enough storytelling and a plot holds together enough to make sense.
Basically, it's as this reviewer noted.
"The ultimate Gen X Dad fantasy, in which a 50-something gets to outsmart and outperform the younger generation's best and brightest."
I don't think it's as good as the rave reviews it's getting over at rottentomatoes: Many 4/4 and 5/5 star reviews. I'd put it more as a ***/***** which is my threshold for a recommendation.
Some of the music from the original film is back. There is no bad guy - you never know which country they are fighting - must keep everything PC but I suppose it doesn't much matter to the pilots - they have a mission to carry out - the target is irrelevant (I guess) and so it's a bit of an odd mix of 1980s mentality and modern-day enlightenment.
Still an enjoyable ride - deserving of a big-screen viewing - I went on Tuesday here for $65 HKD ($8 USD) and it included free popcorn and $15 ($2) for a soda/ So can't complain.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Top Gun: Maverick - surprisingly good - RGA 15:24:00 05/24/22 (8)
- Have not watched, but probably will... - Ross 13:25:41 06/07/22 (0)
- A brilliant remake of the original . . . - Billy Wonka 11:32:29 05/29/22 (0)
- RE: Top Gun: Maverick - surprisingly good - grantv 16:52:15 05/24/22 (1)
- RE: Top Gun: Maverick - surprisingly good - RGA 17:46:50 05/24/22 (0)
- RE: Top Gun: Maverick - surprisingly good - beach cruiser 16:20:15 05/24/22 (3)
- Beachcomber... - troutbum 18:22:00 05/31/22 (1)
- RE: Beachcomber... - fantja 21:09:18 05/31/22 (0)
- It appears that this year, again we must look to "art," for our entertainment, BC. - tinear 04:48:26 05/26/22 (0)