In Reply to: Thanks... posted by MaxwellP on March 12, 2023 at 15:52:28:
With some of these Sci-Fi films - I try to ignore the spectacle (multi-verse) and try to figure out what the hell the heart of the movie is about.
In the film, it is revealed that Evelyn is living the most mundane version of herself - all the things she could be she is not. The grandfather would not understand that his grandaughter is gay. The mother (Evelyn) is caught in the old traditions and trying to accept her daughter.
To me, this is the heart of the film. Personally, I think they could have made a better film without all the Multi-Verse stuff but then perhaps it would have then just been a human drama that no one would go and see.
There are other themes in there - what's the point of it all kind of stuff that others may appreciate - and that's why I would choose it as the best of this lot. It had some ambition - it tried to do something and appeal on a few levels.
All Quiet was a good war picture but doesn't really have much of narrative and is mostly a series of horrors.
Tar is a commentary I suppose on power corrupting - and a lesson on not stepping on people to get to the top as you may need them on the way down.
Personally, I liked The Batman and The Menu more than any of these nominated movies.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - How are you ranking the Academy Award Nominated films - RGA 16:22:37 02/28/23 (23)
- Swing and a miss - pbarach 14:56:11 03/13/23 (0)
- Hollywood is moribund and out of ideas iMHO - Jay Buridan 12:41:34 03/12/23 (1)
- RE: Hollywood is moribund and out of ideas iMHO - pbarach 14:54:25 03/13/23 (0)
- Seen them all - final rankings - RGA 05:54:30 03/12/23 (7)
- RE: Seen them all - final rankings - RGA 18:34:53 03/14/23 (0)
- Everything Everywhere... - MaxwellP 06:11:47 03/12/23 (5)
- RE: How are you ranking the Academy Award Nominated films - Billy Wonka 12:49:46 03/11/23 (0)
- I have only seen 6 - Mike B. 10:11:20 03/05/23 (0)
- Like this: Crap, Poor, Fair, Tolerable, Good, Better, Best. (nt) - reelsmith. 13:38:50 03/04/23 (1)
- Perfect!!!!... N/T - musetap 18:17:52 03/07/23 (0)
- I've seen 5... - mkuller 09:44:18 03/03/23 (1)
- I don't know about that... - MaxwellP 06:47:43 03/04/23 (0)
- Not, don't care, only seen three... - musetap 23:06:51 03/02/23 (0)
- RE: How are you ranking the Academy Award Nominated films - tunenut 16:16:30 03/01/23 (1)
- RE: How are you ranking the Academy Award Nominated films - RGA 05:10:07 03/02/23 (0)
- It's a mystery to me how... - MaxwellP 06:32:09 03/01/23 (2)Follow Ups
- RE: Thanks... - RGA 21:04:47 03/12/23 (0)