Having seen this one on the small screen I'm not sure what to make of it. But then the original Bladerunner, with its melencholy moods, wasn't exactly emotionally fullfilling. Not that a movie needs to be.
This new chapter may base itself in the world imagined by writer Philip Kindred Dick. Yet it is the creation of another writer with good intentions wanting to extrapolate that world something like a generation or two later. There is plausibility within the confines established by the original script. It plays like a police procedural on the one side, and with evil corporate baddies that provide the interference and struggle.
All in all I enjoyed it even if my glass remains neither half empty nor half full. It is a bleak world from which this movie comes. It always was bleak and continues to be.
The movie does seem to redeem itself with more than one viewing. It is rich in its descriptions and depictions. At 2hrs 44 minutes this movie takes its time to fold out its chapters. The production values are high. The CGI is good, perhaps really good in that it may not be possible to always differentiate between what is and what isn't CGI in many scenes.
So sad about Rachel.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - BladeRunner 2049 - user510 13:27:20 01/01/18 (19)
- It's wonderful; more believable than the first, more sophisticated and intelligent... - musetap 18:40:26 01/21/18 (0)
- RE: BladeRunner 2049 - Buck 09:22:06 01/15/18 (0)
- RE: BladeRunner 2049 - Wojciech 09:24:57 01/11/18 (0)
- Start collecting wood instead of bitcoin - Jon L 16:05:39 01/02/18 (1)
- Hey - wait a minute! I remember seeing a program with John Stossel. . . - Chris from Lafayette 12:53:05 01/03/18 (0)
- Meh, mostly art direction not beauty . . . - Billy Wonka 14:06:19 01/02/18 (1)
- RE: is that a tear... - user510 14:15:42 01/02/18 (0)
- An excellent but dour film. Not for those off of their antidepressants. - free.ranger 07:28:12 01/02/18 (1)
- RE: An excellent but dour film. Yes.. - user510 13:14:53 01/02/18 (0)
- RE: BladeRunner 2049 - bullethead 17:33:41 01/01/18 (0)
- Cinematography by Roger Deakins. Need I say more? Nt - geoffkait 16:39:40 01/01/18 (4)
- Unlike the original movie, some of the scenes were in daylight.... - user510 17:22:16 01/01/18 (0)
- There was only one tree in the entire movie... - Steve O 17:06:28 01/01/18 (2)
- It must've been after I walked out. Nt - geoffkait 17:37:15 01/01/18 (1)
- LOL...You musta walked out during the previews...or you didn't get around to walking in (nt) - Steve O 18:44:23 01/01/18 (0)
- I thought it was... - mkuller 14:25:55 01/01/18 (0)
- "may not be possible to always differentiate between what is and what isn't CGI"... - Steve O 13:51:01 01/01/18 (2)
- RE: "may not be possible to always differentiate between what is and what isn't CGI"... - user510 14:17:36 01/01/18 (1)
- Agree, the technical stuff was well done... - Steve O 17:25:32 01/01/18 (0)