Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I think class-D might be the new class-A

After reading your post, I ordered two of the Hypex Nilai 500 monoblock amplifiers. I just received them this morning and I've been listening for a few hours. These things are awesome driving my Mini Maggie speakers. I was previously using a pair of PS Audio Stellar M1200 class-D monoblocks and I thought they were the best sounding amplifiers I'd ever heard. However, I'm even more impressed with the sound of these Hypex Nilai 500 monoblocks. Bass is tighter and highs are nicer. I think midrange is about the same as the M1200's.

I didn't feel like putting together a kit, so I bought the fully assembled version. The cost of these is $1990 a pair. The kits are $1698 a pair so you can save almost $300, but I didn't want the hassle. I'm getting old. :-)

The Hypex Nilai 500 monoblocks produce 260-watts into 8-ohms, 525-watts into 4-ohms, and 500-watts into 2-ohms. They put out less than half the power of my M1200 monoblocks, but they sound better so far. I haven't tried them on any other speakers, but they definitely bring out the best in the Mini Maggie's at less than one-third the price of the M1200 monoblocks.

Happy listening!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.