Just watched it, then did some research on the life story of Leo Sharp, the man that the film was based on.
Names all changed in the script, but the gross details are real. Leo (Earl, played by Clint) was a horticulturist and a decorated war vet living in Michigan City, Indiana. He had money troubles with his flower business and was approached by Mexican laborers working at his farm. They advised him about cartel opportunities, thus he became a drug mule for over a decade. Over that time, he became friends with cartel members who called him "grandfather" ("Tata"). He ran thousands of kilos of cocaine from the southwest border to Detroit, then took $millions back down the road on return trips.
He was finally captured in Michigan by joint DEA and MI State Police at the age of 87. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison; telling the judge he would pay a $half mil fine for illegally growing Hawaiian fruit to avoid jail time. No deal. He served only one year; released for medical reasons. He died two years later, age 92, in rural Michigan.
In all, a great film and a fascinating story that was published in the New York Times. A high-caliber cast, great acting all around. But a standout is Diane Wiest, playing Earl's wife Mary. She dies from cancer, giving one of the most realistic and graphic portrayals of that kind of death that you can stand to watch. It ain't pretty, but I've seen such things. It was award-worthy.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Has anyone seen "The Mule", Eastwood and Cooper, 2018? - free.ranger 10:27:15 05/24/20 (11)
- Worthwhile and interesting character study . . . - Billy Wonka 12:22:57 05/25/20 (0)
- It was OK - Mike B. 11:46:47 05/25/20 (0)
- Pretty good, and then you start to think about the - tinear 05:47:34 05/25/20 (6)
- He seemed to compartmentalize that aspect, Didn't let himself ponder it much. - free.ranger 07:14:50 05/25/20 (4)
- The character was glorified, in the end. Clint has had a disturbing - tinear 10:15:38 05/25/20 (3)
- "But you kind of have to check your values at the door"... - musetap 16:44:21 05/25/20 (2)
- Complicates the story when it's the director who's also - tinear 10:23:42 05/27/20 (1)
- Ummmmm, howz about artistic... flourishes?... intent?... or even... - musetap 13:07:06 05/28/20 (0)
- RE: Pretty good, and then you start to think about the - troutbum 06:00:39 05/25/20 (0)
- Saw it and, what Musetap said * - Road Warrior 21:48:29 05/24/20 (0)
- Enjoyed that much more than I thought I would... - musetap 15:49:55 05/24/20 (0)