The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced Friday that there will be 10 best picture nominees beginning with the 94th Academy Awards in 2022. The organization is also planning to implement new eligibility requirements with an eye toward diversity in collaboration with the Producers Guild of America that will be finalized by the end of July.
The organization that puts on the Oscars is also committing to a new phase of diversity and inclusion initiatives, which they are calling Academy Aperture 2025. The first phase, which ended this year, was in response to the #OscarsSoWhite criticisms. Academy President David Rubin said that the organization had surpassed those goals.
"While the Academy has made strides, we know there is much more work to be done in order to ensure equitable opportunities across the board," Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said in a written statement. "The need to address this issue is urgent. To that end, we will amend - and continue to examine - our rules and procedures to ensure that all voices are heard and celebrated."
This is from June and certainly does not bode well for talent and achievements. It makes me feel that 13.4% of the population is demanding 50% of the spoils of the Academy. I'm feeling a political tug-of-war every year when this begins. I won't be happy until we see a lot more Hispanics and Asians in positive roles.
Of course, most will say, who cares? I look at the Oscars listings to see if I have seen each film and to mostly disagree with it. It saddens to see full-on politics take over every facet of our culture.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Oscars: Just another waste of air-time? - Billy Wonka 10:17:21 09/09/20 (15)
- Haven't tuned in for years. Not since Billy Crystal hosted. Nt - geoffkait 05:33:41 09/13/20 (0)
- RE: Oscars: Just another waste of air-time? - rivervalley817 16:06:48 09/10/20 (5)
- Mandatory Mongolian films viewing - Victor Khomenko 06:00:01 09/11/20 (4)
- RE: Mandatory Mongolian films viewing - rivervalley817 09:12:12 09/11/20 (0)
- Hold it! I just saw two very good Tibetan films--- do they qualify? nt - tinear 07:54:16 09/11/20 (2)
- RE: Hold it! I just saw two very good Tibetan films--- do they qualify? nt - rivervalley817 09:14:27 09/11/20 (1)
- "Jinpa," "Tharlo," and the Bhutanese, "Travelers and Magicians." Truly wonderful films! nt - tinear 10:06:36 09/12/20 (0)
- They lost me when they force diversity over artistry. - David S. 09:41:01 09/10/20 (2)
- They lost me in the eighties - Victor Khomenko 10:42:45 09/10/20 (1)
- Me too. I haven't watched since 1985. (nt) - mbnx01 15:47:20 09/10/20 (0)
- The Academy has become a joke of late... - TWB 10:27:59 09/09/20 (4)
- Quantity vs quality - violinist3 19:06:27 09/09/20 (1)
- Hollywood follows the FOUR Rs: Recyle, Reuse, Reduce(quality), Regurgitate... N/T - musetap 21:44:24 09/09/20 (0)
- Films now come from the dollar bins n/t - Ripple 12:48:26 09/09/20 (1)
- Yes but lots and lots of them - violinist3 14:21:28 09/10/20 (0)