but that would be incorrect. Viola Davis, as Ma, did her best with very trite, over-the-top dialogue. Chadwich Boseman, similarly, was ill-used in the contrived and trite character he played. Why, he barely left enough scenery for his fellows to nibble on. That didn't stop them from trying, however.
This is the type of filmed play where each actor has his turn to speechify, in this case, for minutes on end. And they share things openly that people rarely would with their shrink, much less guys they work with and know little. There also was a rather unbelievable sex scene and an even less believable violent one. Contrived would be too kind. Hackneyed?
The closing credits featured music from the original singer and that just showed how poor the overall work was.
If you're sitting around and cannot thing of what to watch, you could do worse. I confess to a failure to appreciate August Wilson's writing: this is pretty paint-by-the-numbers theater.
It's on Netflix.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom:" I'd like to say this was a gripping drama with fantastic music--- - tinear 10:20:36 02/25/21 (5)
- Agree 100%... might have made a good play, but... - musetap 21:42:24 02/26/21 (4)
- RE: Agree 100%... might have made a good play, but... - rivervalley817 22:09:10 02/26/21 (3)
- The actors are all better than the material... - musetap 02:54:31 02/27/21 (2)
- RE: The actors are all better than the material... - Sondek 11:15:47 02/27/21 (0)
- RE: The actors are all better than the material... - rivervalley817 10:27:38 02/27/21 (0)