In Reply to: It's not a documentary posted by jedrider on February 28, 2021 at 09:26:18:
The re-enactment thing is usually VERY unsuccessful.
It's not as if Billie Holiday didn't have enough demons dogging her in a
brief, extraordinary life without the government also partaking in the
Black artists in those years had to endure so much unnecessary pain from
the government, BEYOND typical society pains.
You familiar with NYC Cabaret Card B.S?
The body of music she left is almost unmatched in 20th Century (and beyond) art.
In the long run that is really all that matters.
IMO that clip is one of the most treasured seven minutes on film.
"Once this was all Black Plasma and Imagination"-Michael McClure
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The US vs. Billie Holiday - jedrider 07:12:01 02/27/21 (6)
- Good to know... after Ma Rainy a couple weeks ago and Bessie Smith last week... - musetap 14:33:55 02/27/21 (5)
- Don't read this! - jedrider 21:00:06 02/27/21 (4)
- Won't, but reading the (typically) fluffy blurb... - musetap 23:10:27 02/27/21 (3)Follow Ups
- OH OH!... - musetap 13:45:57 02/28/21 (1)
- +1. nt - tinear 10:23:39 03/01/21 (0)