with a friend cancelled at the last minute. Delphine, who is getting over a long romance with Jean-Pierre, tries and tries (and her friends try and try...) to distract herself with solo trips out of the city--- but finds her loneliness follows her wherever she goes.
No, not much of a plot, and yet, in the Marie Riviere character, we find one of the most complete portrayals of a woman you will ever see made even more magnificent by the realization that almost all her dialogue was improvised, according to Eric Rohmer, the brilliant director. The film won the prestigious top prize at Venice (the Golden Bear).
Recently, more than a few critics have placed this film in their top 10 and I'd also give it a very high placement. Bonus: lots of beautiful areas of France are shown and there is little effort to avoid photographing the nudity on public Cote d'Azur beaches...
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - "The Green Ray:" a Parisian finds herself alone in the summer, her plans - tinear 08:05:13 03/20/21 (6)
- Reminiscent of the "Rochelle, Rochelle" Seinfeld episode - geoffkait 05:29:26 03/21/21 (1)
- Nothin' erotic about the Rohmer film. Actually, the opposite. nt - tinear 11:54:46 03/21/21 (0)
- AKA Summer - Rod H. 09:03:50 03/20/21 (3)
- Will check those out! Hong Sangsoo is Korea's answer to Rohmer: - tinear 12:02:07 03/20/21 (2)
- RE: Will check those out! Hong Sangsoo is Korea's answer to Rohmer: - Rod H. 13:41:09 03/20/21 (1)
- Diving into Tavernier, again - tinear 11:56:03 03/21/21 (0)