There's no question that Frank Herbert's 1965 430+ page scifi novel Dune (which I've never read) must be very difficult to adapt to film as David Lynch's 1984 version is whatever, three hours long, and difficult to follow. However, it does have wonderfully lush production design though, Max von Sydow, and at least has an ending.
Set in the year 10192, on the planet Caladan, the Emperor of the known universe, ol' what's his name, Padthai Emperor Saddam decrees that the control of Arrakis, that has a valuable resource called spice hitherto exploited by House Harkonnen will in future be exploited by House Atradies. Think along the lines that if in 1965 for no particular reason the PM of Britain- good ol' Harold Wilson, proclaimed that the US could have all the oil in Iraq. Arrakis = Iraq, get it?
Now, cut to the Denis Villeneuve version:
In 10192, House Atreides takes over the oil, I mean spice, and it appears that house Harkkonen did this with the sly expectation that Atradies would fail due to the indigenous people, the Fremen objecting after a few hundred years of exploitation, think Russia and then the US in Afghanistan.
Anyway, the leader of house Atreides is very soon Paul, who is young, weedy, and speaks a bit like a Canadian teenager whose like really into Dungeons and Dragons and all that mystical stuff like the magic power of the Bennyjesuits, who can, wow, like, make things do things by asking them.
After a lot of things happen with complicated jargon and names in many dark shadowy, beautifully photographed places, and Paul reluctantly assumes the task of making friends with the desert dwelling Fremens. I won't spoil the ending as this tedious movie doesn't have an end, and as I didn't care about any of the characters anyway, it didn't really matter. We must assume that Paul Atredies gets some very high position in Caladonian Oil, I mean Caladanian SpiceCo.
There were so many illogicalities: shacecraft that could "fold space"- faster than light?, hand-held devices that , when screamed at: "Ka-Pow" could shatter things with sound, weapons that could send individual missiles to each person, but just for the sport of it, still fought hand to hand with swords and daggers. Also, if the Fremens, will kill someone to harvest the water from their body and the entire planet is bare sand- what did they eat? Even if they were cannibalistic, that would not be a sustainable, long-tern situation.
Beautiful imagery, production values, some excellent acting of extremely dull dialogue, and terrific special effects, but has only a couple of step of satisfaction level as Harry Potter, which is to say, not much. It's just beautiful and tedious and does not have a conclusion.
By the way, the actor that plays Beast Rabban Harkonnen in Dune, Dave Bautista, also plays Sapper Morton, the replicant "retired" by Officer K Ryan Gosling)in Blade Runner 2049. To clear the sour taste of the disappointment of Dune 2021, as soon as possible, I watched Blade Runner 2049 again.
Yours in controllable insanity,
PS: I wonder if vinyl will still be as popular in 10192? Will DVD's be in 32000K resolution by then? Would we see tube gear fusion powered to achieve the 170,000 Watt 144-channel sound? I don't think I can wait!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - Bambi_B 05:16:32 10/21/21 (41)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - fantja 00:46:26 10/27/21 (1)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - geoffkait 03:35:37 10/27/21 (0)
- " . . . part one is the appetizer . . . - Billy Wonka 10:34:38 10/24/21 (2)
- I reduxed Lynch's Dune . . . - Billy Wonka 12:26:25 10/29/21 (1)
- RE: I reduxed Lynch's Dune . . . - Des 20:34:56 10/29/21 (0)
- Always great to see you posting!... - musetap 17:25:40 10/22/21 (4)
- Good to see a familiar name - Bambi_B 13:50:12 10/23/21 (3)
- Well, don't let the basturds get you down... - musetap 16:06:08 10/23/21 (2)
- AMAZING!!! TWBs post was removed from the FILM forum... - musetap 10:18:57 10/24/21 (1)
- Or...-he removed it himself. Oh, no he didn't! Lol nt - geoffkait 10:49:32 10/24/21 (0)
- You must have been desperate to watch a film.... - TWB 09:54:36 10/21/21 (15)
- RE: You must have been desperate to watch a film.... - Bambi_B 13:11:41 10/21/21 (14)
- RE: You must have been desperate to watch a film.... - Hornlover 08:30:56 10/22/21 (0)
- There are two films in recent memory that I felt compelled to walk out on..... - TWB 20:13:32 10/21/21 (2)
- Good choices. I'll add Ready Player One. Nt - geoffkait 05:45:45 10/22/21 (1)
- I've never seen that.... - TWB 17:44:46 10/22/21 (0)
- "I couldn't repeat three words from either of the Dunes that I saw two days ago" - Chris from Lafayette 18:25:57 10/21/21 (6)
- I remember these differently - Bambi_B 08:08:39 10/22/21 (4)
- I just remembered another one. . . - Chris from Lafayette 12:41:31 10/22/21 (2)
- That line is in an outtake from "Pals of the Saddle"... - musetap 10:31:53 10/24/21 (1)
- Gee, musetap - I wouldn't know! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 14:27:23 10/26/21 (0)
- Well, OK, Bambi_B: your quotes are better than mine. But still. . . [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 12:37:44 10/22/21 (0)
- RE: "I couldn't repeat three words from either of the Dunes that I saw two days ago" - Bambi_B 07:59:02 10/22/21 (0)
- Most disappointed, if not outright pissed off, at 2049. - tinear 14:32:10 10/21/21 (2)
- RE: Most disappointed, if not outright pissed off, at 2049. - Bambi_B 16:24:38 10/21/21 (1)
- And... - grantv 17:02:59 10/21/21 (0)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - Hornlover 09:49:18 10/21/21 (1)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoiled alert! - Bambi_B 13:25:11 10/21/21 (0)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - Jack G 06:44:05 10/21/21 (2)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - Bambi_B 08:24:53 10/21/21 (1)
- RE: Dune 2021 Spoil alert! - Jack G 09:17:44 10/21/21 (0)
- Thanks for the "review"... - Steve O 06:21:06 10/21/21 (2)
- RE: Thanks for the "review"... - Bambi_B 08:33:05 10/21/21 (0)
- RE: Thanks for the "review"... - Bambi_B 08:26:55 10/21/21 (0)
- If it's not as good as David Lynch's Dune I'm out. Nt - geoffkait 05:42:52 10/21/21 (6)
- The narration helps explain the situations . . . - Billy Wonka 10:38:35 10/24/21 (2)
- RE: The narration helps explain the situations . . . - geoffkait 16:09:01 10/24/21 (0)
- (Laughing!) [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 15:47:24 10/24/21 (0)
- About as low a bar as is possible. A 65% audience rating from 50,000+ - tinear 06:17:54 10/21/21 (2)
- You caught that, huh? Nt - geoffkait 08:59:05 10/21/21 (0)
- FWIW, Dune 2021 has a reviewer score of 88 just now (no audience score yet) (nt) - Steve O 06:26:06 10/21/21 (0)