The restoration work is superb, all three recently released Blu-Ray sets have full video and sound restoration. Starting with the earliest sound releases in 1929 after Hal Roach switched from Pathes to MGM for distribution, these B&W two reel shorts come alive in an almost uncanny surreal sense. Some of these look as though they could've been filmed this year sans color.
You don't even have to be a fan of the "Little Rascals" Our Gang comedies to enjoy the humor and appreciate the work done to preserve these ancient often clever films, you'll still look at them in awe and wonder. The first three volumes are available covering 1929-32, each averaging between three and four hours of shorts and extras including comparisons of restored and unrestored footage. Truly amazing.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Has anyone had an opportunity watch the Hal Roach "Our Gang" comedy restorations - Audiophilander 06:46:43 11/05/21 (9)
- I have the Beau Hunks playing Music from the Lil' Rascals, - oldmkvi 08:15:52 11/05/21 (8)
- "Period instruments" sans vibrato, one hopes? nt - tinear 10:24:50 11/09/21 (6)
- Hell No! It's part and parcel of the style! By Period Inst, they're from - oldmkvi 15:51:20 11/09/21 (4)
- Reminds me of that academic who advocated. . . - Chris from Lafayette 10:55:07 11/10/21 (3)
- Listen and decide for yourself! ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 11:59:18 11/09/21 (0)
- And I'm grateful to you for sharing that CD with me! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 12:57:09 11/06/21 (0)