Another new film I probably won't see because I got too twisted by the first three. Which I think was the theme. In all, maybe too much is being made of it. I don't sense any holocaust involved, but naivety is my specialty.
If you plan to see the 4th film, then this NY Times commentary might be prep for you. The author weaves foretelling complication with today's internet and finds that the movies provide a more hopeful outcome than future internet seems to. How's that for a low bar?
And maybe all this will be cause some day for real e-Monkey Wrench Gangs (ala Ed Abbey, and Neo's band) to form up, thwarting the madness of all of us being connected, but no one in charge.
Article quotes; hopefully you can vault any paywalls to it. It reads as complicated as the films:
"Some excitedly heralded "The Matrix," with its pioneering computer-generated special effects and cyberpunk motif, as "the first movie of the 21st century." And over 20 years after its release, the film persists as perhaps the definitive movie of the early internet age. Its influence is everywhere, animating fashion and philosophy, as well as our technological fears and fantasies. Its iconography - from the "red pill," which helps to awaken characters to the reality of their dystopian circumstances, to "the endless allure of Keanu Reeves' sunglasses," as GQ put it - are cultural mainstays. "
"Dominated by a handful of mega-corporations, today's digital sphere seems more in line with the machines' coercive operation than the dreams of Neo and his band of rebels. The internet now stands as a vast web designed to capture our tastes, attention and patterns of thought, and to push them along profit-making lines. The goal is not a world where anything is possible - but a world where everything is predictable and purchasable."
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - "The Matrix Resurrections" -- a primer - free.ranger 08:24:48 12/22/21 (8)
- RE: "The Matrix Resurrections" -- a primer - fantja 02:46:08 01/01/22 (0)
- RE: "The Matrix Resurrections" -- a primer - Billy Wonka 11:11:04 12/27/21 (0)
- Certainly one of the most over rated, pretentious and self important film series ever... - musetap 01:06:00 12/24/21 (2)
- RE: Certainly one of the most over rated, pretentious and self important film series ever... - pbarach 12:10:54 12/31/21 (1)
- I love watching films done here in SF and sometimes watch a flick just for that reason... - musetap 16:17:58 01/01/22 (0)
- Tried it last night, made it through 45 minutes: too - tinear 06:51:08 12/23/21 (2)
- The Bond film got the same wink-and-nod treatment. - free.ranger 07:40:36 12/23/21 (1)
- Beautiful locations, women, cool cars---- Bond has a lot of advantages - tinear 09:44:18 12/23/21 (0)