that is not a retread of prior Batman films -- think arthouse 1930s-style Batman that follows the spirit of the original comics.
No crazy costumes or any talk about gadgets.
Some feel it's the best of all of them, while others find it too dark and dreary.
It's more Chinatown/LA Confidential meets Se7en than anything that came before. No over-the-top mugging for cameras in silly cartoon costumes.
Paul Dano is excellent as the unhinged Riddler and Zoe Kravitz makes for a splendid and surprisingly layered Catwoman.
It still follows the comic tropes (otherwise it would not be Batman) and to be honest it may have been better had they just made a detective film noir - changed all the names - not been Batman but a rich vigilante and it would probably get more credit. The Batman name brings the audience to the theatre - I made a similar argument about The Joker.
Be warned it clocks in at 3 hours.
On first viewing: ****/*****
The strength here is the cinematography and overall look and feel of the film which is a character in itself for a noir. You may appreciate this film just on that level.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The Batman (2022)- Detective Noir film - RGA 02:13:02 04/25/22 (23)
- I trust you mean the movie Joker? Nt - geoffkait 06:51:11 04/27/22 (16)
- Yes - RGA 16:36:54 04/27/22 (14)
- RE: Yes - geoffkait 18:36:48 04/27/22 (13)
- RE: Yes - RGA 19:09:54 04/27/22 (12)
- RE: Yes - tinear 06:51:59 04/28/22 (7)
- I watched an episode of the West Wing - RGA 22:27:37 04/28/22 (5)
- One thing Canada's health system doesn't deal with very well - Covid - geoffkait 11:45:07 04/29/22 (1)
- RE: One thing Canada's health system doesn't deal with very well - Covid - RGA 22:48:14 04/30/22 (0)
- RE: I watched an episode of the West Wing - tinear 10:57:56 04/29/22 (0)
- RE: I watched an episode of the West Wing - mg16 05:53:00 04/29/22 (0)
- RE: I watched an episode of the West Wing - geoffkait 04:21:29 04/29/22 (0)
- RE: Yes - geoffkait 09:12:22 04/28/22 (0)
- RE: Yes - geoffkait 05:16:12 04/28/22 (0)
- RE: Yes - geoffkait 05:02:07 04/28/22 (0)
- Perhaps though - RGA 19:39:13 04/27/22 (1)
- RE: Perhaps though - geoffkait 05:06:17 04/28/22 (0)
- Riddle me this: Can one discuss Batman if he's not in the film? nt - tinear 08:30:19 04/27/22 (0)
- Well done and boring - tunenut 23:27:25 04/26/22 (0)
- A solid film. Pattinson was his usual unusual self. Catwoman was - tinear 07:15:24 04/26/22 (0)
- Completely agree... Top Notch approach and execution... N/T - musetap 22:36:19 04/25/22 (0)
- I liked it... - Jim Pearce 08:24:06 04/25/22 (0)
- A review of the film omitting any mention of the lead? - tinear 07:14:44 04/25/22 (1)
- RE: A review of the film omitting any mention of the lead? - RGA 07:34:53 04/25/22 (0)