In Reply to: Short list of movies I would put in top 100 posted by geoffkait on December 23, 2022 at 08:16:52:
This is why I rarely criticize musicians because it takes guts to put yourself out there for others.
Take any musician who "covers" a classic song. They open themselves up to the immediate "the original was better, you suck" comments.
Same for movies - a great comedy or horror vs a drama tends to lose to the drama - but if you ask most any actor - comedy is the toughest thing to "act."
With films, many are meant to be artistic and rely heavily on visual appeal and fancy camera work. I come more from a literary and Plato-inspired theatre background so I generally prefer character, theme, and plot over spectacle.
So for films - cinematography, camera shots/angles/lenses fall into Plato's least important elements (spectacle). This is not to say I don't appreciate them - but they rarely make a movie for me.
I also have trouble with almost any film before about 1970 - largely because the acting is so stilted and silly by today's standards. The woman who screams with a hand to her forehead - "oh nooooooo" when there is a murder - I almost laugh.
But for older forumers on here perhaps in their late 60s - they grew up with that - that's how movies were made. There were rules about kissing on screen too - one foot had to be on the ground etc. But with my more modern eyes, it's really difficult to not find all of it rather ridiculous and it takes me out of the film. Same with any music with doo-wop shebop da do ron rons in it.
I mean I liked "Some Like it Hot" but it really doesn't hold up for me anymore - I suspect it is listed more because it was a Marilyn Monroe Vehicle - one of the few if only good actual movies she was in. A top 100 film of all time?
And that's fine - Nostalgia is something we all possess for something. I love Tom Baker's Doctor Who - I grew up with it - it was great for my 9 year old self - and I can still watch them now - but I would totally understand anyone today looking at those and laughing at the special effects and wobbly sets and creature designs - oh my.
The most recent film that would make my top 100 all-time would be Jojo Rabbit, Drive My Car, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and maybe Titane.
From your list - I always felt like Casino was underrated. For me, I would have Goodfellas (definitely in my top 100) over Casino but I liked Casino.
I'd probably prefer separating genres like top 25 comedy/romance/musical, Top 25 Horror/Science Fiction, top 25 Action/Adventure, top 25 Drama/Biography/Documentary.
I love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles or My Cousin Vinny - they probably don't make a top 100 but they would be a top 25 comedy - ditto for The Thing or the 1978 Dawn of the Dead. These could make my top horror/sci-fi list.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Variety top 100 movies of all time, you'll never guess what's no. 1 - geoffkait 06:13:48 12/21/22 (31)
- a few of mine .... - trioderob 22:57:04 12/29/22 (0)
- RE: Good list of someone's favorite movies, Rankings...? - B. Scarpia 11:53:55 12/27/22 (0)
- I thought it was one of the most strange top film lists... - Rod H. 20:02:31 12/25/22 (1)
- List like that seems restricted to specific... - musetap 13:08:35 12/26/22 (0)
- Opening scene of The Hustler - geoffkait 17:34:04 12/24/22 (0)
- Some more random movies that missed the list somehow - geoffkait 12:30:13 12/23/22 (0)
- I get so mad at all these lists - Chris from Lafayette 01:16:27 12/23/22 (2)
- It didn't have Deliverance either. Another John Boorman movie. - geoffkait 18:13:42 12/23/22 (0)
- It didn't have Deliverance either. Another John Boorman movie. - geoffkait 05:42:14 12/23/22 (0)
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 no. 49, I'm OK with that - geoffkait 06:43:58 12/22/22 (0)
- Wow....where are these great movies? - troutbum 05:59:59 12/22/22 (3)
- Great list of "left offers". Not a dud on it ^ - Road Warrior 07:36:01 12/23/22 (0)
- RE: Wow....where are these great movies? - dwill123 16:09:37 12/22/22 (1)
- "On the beach" - violinist3 10:14:18 12/23/22 (0)
- 12 Angry Men, number 99? Are they out of mind? - geoffkait 05:11:53 12/22/22 (0)
- Luhrmann's Stinker--Moulin Rouge?--someones having' a larf ! - Des 20:15:16 12/21/22 (1)
- The Graduate comes in at 100, makes no sense either. - geoffkait 02:16:10 12/22/22 (0)
- Was actually surprised at that choice... - musetap 17:44:30 12/21/22 (0)
- Well I suppose it lived up to the magazine name - RGA 17:40:22 12/21/22 (5)
- Short list of movies I would put in top 100 - geoffkait 08:16:52 12/23/22 (4)
- Holding down 92 spot...-. - geoffkait 13:51:53 12/21/22 (3)
- Yet, no 'Grand Illusion'? Go figure. * - Billy Wonka 12:13:29 12/22/22 (0)
- RE: Holding down 92 spot...-. - dwill123 04:39:30 12/22/22 (1)
- RE: Holding down 92 spot...-. - geoffkait 05:15:18 12/22/22 (0)
- RE: Variety top 100 movies of all time, you'll never guess what's no. 1 - tunenut 09:50:49 12/21/22 (0)
- The best I can say about that list...- - geoff 07:46:31 12/21/22 (0)
- Which just proves... - grantv 06:57:44 12/21/22 (0)
- Comparing art is often difficult - RGA 00:38:01 12/25/22 (1)
- Here's a few more - geoffkait 04:23:35 12/25/22 (0)