I had been buying the 2nd from top model Marantz HT receivers for about 20 years, repeatedly upgrading to the then-current model. Earlier this year, I bought a Marantz AV-7704 pre-processor (again, 2nd from the top model), and found a used Rotel RMB-1565 5-channel amp.
My wife had often "remarked" that dialog was difficult to understand with the all-in-one receivers. Now, she says how real things sound. I, too, noticed a big improvement in sound quality with the new configuration of a pre-processor and separate multi-channel power amplifier.
This was probably the most significant upgrade to the home theater system since I replaced the old DLP TV with a Samsung 4k model.
Edits: 12/02/18This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Biggest Improvement in HT Sound: Going to Separates - JerryS 07:53:27 12/02/18 (6)
- It gets even better when you - ppopp 08:46:21 05/18/19 (0)
- We also have that problem of center channel intelligibility - jedrider 07:27:31 03/29/19 (0)
- RE: Biggest Improvement in HT Sound: Going to Separates - RGA 17:57:19 12/03/18 (2)
- RE: Biggest Improvement in HT Sound: Going to Separates - JerryS 08:39:22 12/05/18 (1)
- RE: Biggest Improvement in HT Sound: Going to Separates - slbenz 22:30:32 03/26/19 (0)
- Gonna bet? The amp section in the receivers was just fine, but the pre/pro section was compromised... - David S. 14:42:43 12/03/18 (0)