At times I thought I was watching SNL gangster skits, other times the world's oldest actors playing the world's oldest gangsters, and the last swan song of the over-the-hill gang.
At 3:09:00 you had better be committed despite the uneven acting. The story was based on the book written by the guy who killed Hoffa. It goes deep into DeNiro's initial involvement and growth in the gangster/Hoffa connections.
DeNiro was good but at times he would lapse into exaggerated facial expressions that are his recognizable stock-in-trade. Pacino was Hoffa or Hoffa was Pacino with Attica relapses. Finally, Pesci gave the best, measured performance without recreating his past. The rest of the cast pretty much followed Pesci's example.
Martin loves to tell crime stories and this one lasts three hours because he thought it needed it. I'm okay with that and I might watch it a second time. If only DeNiro and Pacino could tone it down.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - 'The Irishman': Scorscese or SNL? - Billy Wonka 15:44:43 11/29/19 (18)
- Not as mediocre as everyone says, but I stayed awake throughout. Maybe low expectations. nt - email@example.com 17:59:15 12/22/19 (0)
- RE: 'The Irishman': Scorscese or SNL? - firstname.lastname@example.org 14:14:05 12/21/19 (3)
- According to Wiki, the Towers opened in April 1973 . . . - Billy Wonka 07:10:55 12/24/19 (0)
- The Twin Towers scene threw us off... - musetap 14:55:17 12/21/19 (1)
- Maybe it was a pimply-faced 18 yo computer animation geek who got his ancient history mixed up. : ) - email@example.com 07:42:26 12/23/19 (0)
- Boring in the near extreme - Victor Khomenko 07:20:18 12/07/19 (0)
- We liked it ... - reelsmith. 12:10:45 12/01/19 (2)
- Check out Pacino as Phil Spector in a REAL toupee (as such)... - musetap 12:46:52 12/01/19 (1)
- Yup, that was a goodun ^ - Road Warrior 16:12:44 12/01/19 (0)
- Mixed feelings... - tunenut 10:49:55 12/01/19 (0)
- I thought the 'younger' DeNiro's eyes looked odd, too blue and almost glowing. I was disappointed in the CGI - PhilJ 15:02:50 11/30/19 (3)
- RE: I thought the 'younger' DeNiro's eyes looked odd, too blue and almost glowing. I was disappointed in the CGI - troutbum 05:32:35 12/01/19 (1)
- Computer Generated Imagery - PhilJ 06:19:56 12/01/19 (0)
- That's what it was . . . - Billy Wonka 16:56:36 11/30/19 (0)
- I liked it - Awe-d-o-file 19:50:56 11/29/19 (2)
- No, I haven't seen the "making of" yet . . . - Billy Wonka 13:37:34 11/30/19 (1)
- RE: No, I haven't seen the "making of" yet . . . - Awe-d-o-file 06:07:59 12/08/19 (0)
- Pacino tone it down????????... - musetap 17:29:56 11/29/19 (0)