As the thread title suggests, I finally got around to viewing this movie from Ridley Scott. Rented on-demand for $5.99.
This movie predicts the coming extinction of the human race. It shows how it will come. It shows who will cause it and how. It shows how humans will react to it.
But is it the 'alien monsters' that will cause our extinction? Not really. In the same way an assassin carries out his assigned task, the alien monsters are just a tool for the job.
Is it the 'Engineers' that will cause our extinction? Not really, though they did create the alien monsters. It is suggested in the movie 'Prometheus' that these same 'Engineers' also created us. For what purpose an answer has not really been supplied. Afterall it was Shaw and David that went on a trek to confront these engineers on this very topic.
There is a bleak and fearful inevitability of doom in the atmosphere. Like in that other Ridley Scott movie; The Counsellor, there is this sense of loss and despair. Of dread in knowing that we are no longer at the top of the food chain. The dread of vastly superior predators that will end us in bloody, horrific and painful death.
There is no fun. There is no humor. There is misery.
All this comes from the brain of Ridley Scott. I used to be a fan, but not lately. Not since The Counselor, and certainly not after this horror flick.
That said, I really enjoyed the cgi and F/X in the outer space and aboard ship sequences. Top notch special effects and movie-set decor.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Alien Covenant on video: another downer from Ridley Scott - user510 10:36:39 08/19/17 (15)
- Saw it... Prometheus is more satisfying... - musetap 13:29:38 08/27/17 (0)
- As a prequel, it makes no prediction for any ending, just continued fun stuff. - free.ranger 13:58:14 08/19/17 (5)
- RE: more like a reboot...Prometheus was the prequel... - user510 12:03:45 08/20/17 (2)
- I suspect they were aiming for a sequel - what happens after David & Shaw leave in juggernaut in Prometheus - geoffkait 14:29:20 08/20/17 (1)
- RE: the movie does inform the viewer re: Shaw & David, but to tell it would be a spoiler..nt - user510 14:43:54 08/20/17 (0)
- All that and a plot hole big enough to fly the Nostromo thru to boot... - Steve O 21:15:00 08/19/17 (1)
- Plot holes? Name one. Nt - geoffkait 05:45:42 08/20/17 (0)
- The engineers, with their translucent skin . . . - Billy Wonka 13:35:53 08/19/17 (1)
- RE: that's gotta be it!...the source of A. Hitler's fabled Aryan barbarians....;^) nt - user510 14:51:25 08/20/17 (0)
- If it's laughs you're after check out Gladiator, 1942, Blackhawk Down, Thelma & Louise nt - geoffkait 12:20:22 08/19/17 (3)
- RE: true...RS isn't funny... - user510 13:04:09 08/20/17 (0)
- Oooops, Freudian slip, 1492. Nt - geoffkait 12:55:49 08/19/17 (1)
- Hell, that right there is more funny than anything RS could come up with ... N/T - musetap 21:38:30 08/19/17 (0)
- Ridley Scott really HASN'T provided much fun and humour in his films... - musetap 11:51:52 08/19/17 (1)
- RE: True... - user510 13:16:25 08/20/17 (0)