Audio Asylum Thread Printer
Get a view of an entire thread on one page
|For Sale Ads|
Hello, own a 7 year old Panasonic TCP50UT50 50 inch plasma TV, played well for most of the time. It automatically shut off a few years ago, but that issue resolved by itself.
Now doing it again. 7 flashes on LED power indicator, comes on by holding power button down for a few seconds and releasing. Unplugging works for a time. TV goes off in under 7 minutes?
YT vide tech suggests replace a board.
1. Worthwhile to repair?
2. Upgrade? We like this plasma but not as good resolution as new ones. Of course.
3. Need 50 in size range, what should I pay?
funny, it worked last night during the last 1/2 of 4th quarter of NBA Finals, demise of Oracle Arena, and transfer of Warriors to SF (my home town).
Not doing it now.
Decided to move on.
1. You could get a quote, but I'd guess absolutely not worth repairing. It's 7 years old, which in modern TV's is pretty long to consider repairing. Added to that; repairs are very costly, and new TV prices are dropping like uh... well (got nothin'), they're always dropping.
2. Yes. But make sure 50" is enough. We bought a 65" to replace our 50" plasma (duty in our bedroom now), 65" is a bit small in a larger room (for us).
3. No clue. I'm in Canada, you're in CA. No idea what TV's go for there.
If I was going to buy a new set, it would be one of the Samsung QLED sets. While OLED may be slightly better, seeing them side by side, the difference is very subtle, and not worth the difference in price, in my opinion. For now, my 12 year old Panasonic plasma still looks great.
O wrote OLED but meant QLED (costs less).
Just saw this tv at Costco on line.
Samsung 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 4K UHD LED LCD TV
You did not address my question -- fix mine or not?
Thanks, will check OLED units. Pricing halfway between LED LCD and QLED.
Do you know why a poster claims LG makes Samsung OLED's?
Edits: 06/12/19 06/12/19
Well, how much to fix it? I bet it would be at least half of the cost of a new one, or maybe even more. I love my plasma, but if it went out, I think it would be time to replace it. I doubt if LG makes the Samsung sets.
This local guy quotes me $250 approx with 90 day warranty.
OF makes Samsung?
Post a Message!
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors: