In Reply to: That's a fine list... posted by musetap on September 17, 2018 at 20:27:49:
Good to see a familiar name.
I must be getting old. I'm having attacks of nostalgia for movies made thirty to fifty years before I was born.
Last evening I saw again, Jean Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast" of 1946 and it has more magic in it than all of Harvey Plopper. And it's original. One of the tragedies of so much of modern film-making is that everything has to be a block-buster having a built-in audience, name-recognition, and positive market share analysis. I remember in the 70's the excitement around Truffaut, Bunuel, Fellini, Visconti, Fassbinder, Bergman, Wenders, and Herzog. They were all subsumed into the Spielberg Corporation.
Of course Walt Dismal had to make a musical version of B & the B and have a committee analyze each feature of Cocteau's and exaggerate it. There will be three sequels of the Dismal version, B & the B will have kids, one of which is a Beast. This presents an opportunity for the Beast family to go through various trials when Baby eats one his classmates in second grade, thereby demonstrating the glory of the American nuclear family, if they're patriotic, honest, and can afford good lawyers. Spoiler alert: Baby Beast starts a Christian rap group.
There are still many original movies made, but even those work to the established formulae and torture their fans with sequels.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The Home B&W Festival - Bambi B 06:46:28 09/17/18 (28)
- a few more to add to your excellent list: - PhilJ 16:11:22 09/19/18 (2)
- RE: a few more to add to your excellent list: - Bambi B 05:14:10 09/21/18 (1)
- I enjoyed Robert Mitchum answering to Kirk Douglas, not many have the gravitas for that role over Mitchum - PhilJ 17:25:12 09/22/18 (0)
- That's a fine list... - musetap 20:27:49 09/17/18 (5)
- RE: That's a fine list... - Bambi B 05:32:53 09/18/18 (4)
- I'm bamboozled, no 'Paths of Glory'? - Billy Wonka 13:51:33 09/17/18 (4)
- Also - Des 17:03:37 09/17/18 (2)
- Yes, Paths of Glory is listed in a post below - Bambi B 16:14:44 09/17/18 (0)
- RE: The Home B&W Festival - Mike B. 11:44:20 09/17/18 (2)
- RE: The Home B&W Festival - pictureguy 10:32:09 09/17/18 (3)
- RE: The Home B&W Festival - Bambi B 11:41:37 09/17/18 (2)
- Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I don't have to show you no stinkin badges! - Chris from Lafayette 10:18:10 09/17/18 (6)
- "A Crockwork Lemon"? - Crazy Dave 14:35:39 09/19/18 (1)
- Right on! Mad Magazine is right where I stole it from! [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 17:59:10 09/19/18 (0)
- RE: Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I don't have to show you no stinkin badges! - oldmkvi 08:44:58 09/18/18 (1)
- Funny! (had to use Google translate!) [nt] ;-) - Chris from Lafayette 13:03:16 09/18/18 (0)
- RE: Treasure of the Sierra Madre: I don't have to show you no stinkin badges! - Bambi B 11:57:32 09/17/18 (1)
- I wasn't aware of that Malkovich movie - thanks for the heads up! [nt] - Chris from Lafayette 13:07:45 09/18/18 (0)