In Reply to: Interesting casting choices . . . posted by Billy Wonka on February 27, 2022 at 19:32:06:
So far 4 Academy Award nominees and all thumbs down for me.
Licorice Pizza was too long and once again the characters are unlikeable. A romance I didn't care about and the two leads I didn't care about.
Meh 5/10 - it's the best of the 4 I have seen which isn't saying much.
And the fifth - West Side Story I shut off - I'll try again today but these Musicals IMO had their day - back before I was born - where they should have stayed.
The funny thing is Titane which won the Palme d'Or wasn't nominated and I get it it's grotesque and violent and all but at least it tried to do something outside the box in terms of the story and visuals. It at least attempted something worthwhile and actually managed to have more believable drawn characters in the fire chief father and serial killer - quasi father-daughter/son world.
An academy award movie should be a movie you would want to watch over and over again. That should be the PRIMARY requirement.
I look back to the 1990s and films that lost like the Shawshank Redemption and Quiz Show and Pulp Fiction are all far more rewatchable than the 4-5 so far I have seen this year. Eesh - I'd never watch Nomadland again. What were they thinking?
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Licorice Pizza - Mike B. 08:15:40 02/27/22 (6)
- Interesting casting choices . . . - Billy Wonka 19:32:06 02/27/22 (4)
- RE: Interesting casting choices . . . - RGA 16:51:18 03/03/22 (2)
- RE: Interesting casting choices . . . - Billy Wonka 14:01:15 03/05/22 (1)
- RE: Interesting casting choices . . . - RGA 19:01:01 03/05/22 (0)
- Yeah, Cucumber was weird choice. Eddie Redmayne maybe - tinear 10:09:06 02/28/22 (0)
- Don't even need a review... - Rod H. 08:29:27 02/27/22 (0)