Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The PS S300 probably sounds fine, BUT ...

"I believe there is a strong correlation between good measurements and what we hear ... and that it is a positive one."

To a certain point, yes. I like ASR for pointing out blatant design flaws that sometimes show up in his measurements. For that I find ASR to be useful. However, the distortion figures are so low on all of these amps that I wouldn't use ASR measurements for the purpose of determining if one amp sounds 'better' than another.

ASR's most enthusiastic followers are all about finding the best measuring amp for the lowest possible price. Most of us don't shop that way. There was a time when the main stream audio press suggested that heavy amps that weigh a lot were probably better than lighter amps. If you follow that train of ridiculous thought then our feather weight Class D amps must be total garbage.

As I mentioned, the PS Audio S300 is a great sounding Class D amp and at less than $1000 used I'd consider it to be a real bargain.

Also important to me (and maybe others) is that the PS Audio S300 has balanced XLR -AND- RCA inputs ALONG WITH 12v trigger and outstanding build quality. Many of the Class D 'kit amps' (and those same kits pre-built by small companies) either don't offer these options or they charge extra driving their price up beyond the base trim level.

Per ASR on the PS Audio S300 Amp: "Build quality is much higher than DIY or garage shop amplifiers using Hypex modules. $1,500* is not a ton of money given these attributes. For these reasons and good looks of the unit, I am going to put the PS Audio Stellar S300 amplifier on my recommended list."

*Due to recent price hikes the S300 is now $1999 but often on sale for closer to $1500 new (and often available used for less than $1000).

Edits: 04/15/24 04/15/24 04/15/24

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.